April 27, 2022
5 Things Top Landscape Companies Always Do (And 5 Red Flags to Avoid)
Finding one of the top landscape companies to work with can be a challenge when you start looking for someone to take care of your landscaping or lawn care. It seems like there are crews available everywhere you look!
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, in the Dallas/Fort Worth area where we operate, there are over 21,000 landscaping and groundskeeping workers. You just need a few who can reliably make your property look great. But how do you know which ones are best?
This post will give you several things the top landscape companies do and things the “not-good” ones are known for. That way, when you’re ready to make a call, you’ll be ready!
5 Things Top Landscape Companies Do
Every company is different, but there are a few things that you tend to see the “best of the best” do naturally. Call them best practices or just good business, but here are five things we’ve noticed over the 20+ years that we’ve been in this industry about top landscape companies:
1. They look professional.
Professional landscape companies understand the importance of making a good first impression. Even though our work is often dirty and messy, it’s not hard to maintain a positive image. Look for companies that present themselves well in these areas:
- Appearance – Many landscape companies wear uniforms to make sure their crews stand out and look professional. However, even if they aren’t in shirts with logos, companies that care enough to do a good job usually care enough to look good personally. Does the crew you’re considering look prepared and presentable?
- Equipment – Does the equipment they’re using look well maintained? It doesn’t have to be new and expensive to get the job done (that could just be a sign that they’re deep in debt), but a good crew will take good care of their gear since it’s what they depend on to make a living.
- Online Presence – Do they have an updated, well-designed online presence? Good companies make sure they’re visible, and the information you want is easy to find.
2. They have insurance.
Any serious landscape company understands the need for its crew to be insured. You don’t want to risk having someone get hurt on your property and then have to be the one to pay for it.
3. They have licenses and/or certifications.
While it isn’t necessary to have a general business license to operate a company in the State of Texas, top landscapers will have one. Irrigation technicians in Texas are required by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to be licensed. The Texas Department of Agriculture must license anyone who sprays pesticides or herbicides.
Arborists in Texas are not required to be licensed. However, you should look for one that is certified by the Internation Society of Arborists (ISA).
Additionally, check if the company you are considering is a member of or certified by any landscape-related professional organizations such as the National Association of Landscape Professionals.
Quality landscape companies will usually have a team of experts on staff with certifications covering all of these areas.
4. They do work that gets excellent reviews.
Do they have plenty of positive reviews on sites like Yelp and Google? What do people you know who have worked with them say about them? What kind of review would you give if you could drive out and see the work they’ve done yourself?
5. They communicate with and listen to their clients.
Landscape companies that are serious about doing business with you should be easy to get in touch with and quick to respond. They should be willing to listen to you, the property owner, and make sure they understand what you want to do. Once you hire them, they should proactively keep you informed and never treat your calls as an inconvenience or interruption!
5 Things Bad Landscaping Companies Do
Now that we’ve covered the qualities of the best landscape companies let’s discuss how to recognize the ones to avoid. Move on if you encounter these five red flags when dealing with a landscaper or lawn care provider! (Remember, there are 21,000 in the DFW!)
- They don’t have insurance.
- They don’t bother with contracts.
- They have surprisingly low rates.
- They want all their money upfront.
- They aren’t online.
5 Ways to Find The Top Commercial Landscapers In Your Area
Now that you know what to look for (and what to steer clear of) when hiring a landscaping company, here are five ways to start your search:
- Neighbors – Most people connect with good landscapers through referrals.
- Stop and Ask – If you see outstanding work, stop and find out who did it.
- Angi.com – formerly “Angie’s List”
A Trusted Source for Landscape Design and Installation
With over 20 years of providing remarkable landscape design, lawn care, and maintenance services in Dallas, Fort Worth, and surrounding areas, we’d be more than happy to show you why no one does it better than we do.
Check out how we work, then schedule your free estimate to get started!